The Not Your Average College Packing List

Monday, August 15, 2016

Hi, all!  In honor of the new school year, as promised I am sharing with you on today's blog post some of my favorite (and fun) items to bring to college!  Some are more practical than others, but it seems that no matter how much I age back to school shopping never gets old.

With my internship finishing last Friday, the last thing I have been thinking about is what I need to pack for college.  I move into my dorm room on the 21st of the month, a week before classes begin.  I am staying in my school's all Greek dorm and living on my sorority's floor.*


I can remember when I was a freshman student, I had no clue what to bring with me to college.  On Pinterest I created a board with tons of pins about college packing and with two years spent living on a campus, it's safe to say that there aren't specific items every college student should bring.  While having those college packing lists are great to reference as you prepare to move into your dorm, the reality of it is that every college student has their own specific needs.  There isn't a "one size fits all" list for the average college student which inspired me to create a packing list that is not so average.

One key tip I do have when preparing to move into a dorm is to utilize your space.
I cannot emphasize this enough, it's incredibly important especially since you will be living with another person.  Dorm rooms are tiny.  By adding unique storage ideas such as a over the door shoe organizer or bed risers, you will be amazed at how much extra room you can have.  Be sure to coordinate with your roommate and encourage each other to minimize as many items as you both can when coming to college.  Perhaps others are differing opinions, but from my perspective you need to think small in order to live small.  Bring the essentials and filter out the unnecessary necessities.

Below are some dorm staples that I would make sure you have with you when moving into your dorm, besides your standard essentials like a bed spread, shampoo, etc.  All of these products have been life savers and I recommend you buy these as well!


Huggable Hangers // Shower Flip Flops // Clorox Disinfecting Wipes // Circle Power Strip // 
Plastic Drawers // Table Top Mirror // Fan // Command Strips

The majority of these are self explanatory however I want to point out the plastic drawers, huggable hangers and a table top mirror.  As previously mentioned, it is SO important to utilize the space you are living in.  For the past 2 years, I took advantage of the room underneath my bed.  These plastic drawers are awesome to store stuff whether that be clothing, food or toiletries.  The removable wheels makes things accessible because you can pull out your set of drawers if you need to reach behind there.  I would also consider buying huggable hangers.  You can buy these at Marshall's for a great price, but they are very practical when it comes to putting clothes in your wardrobe.  Since you want to pack as much as you can in your space, these keep your tops and jackets from falling down.  They're also very skinny which makes storing them convenient.  A final item is a table top mirror.  For girls, you will definitely need this item.  Instead of doing your make up in the bathroom or at a tall mirror, consider one of these.  My desk doubles as a vanity so this mirror makes getting ready easy.


Post Its // Mug For Pens + Pencils // Stapler // Lamp // Magazine Holder // Wireless Mouse // Bulletin Board Squares

Speaking of desks... here are some supplies to make your writing space more functional!  My must have pieces include a magazine holder, a wireless mouse and bulletin board squares.  Sometimes storing papers can be a drag, but with this organizer you can hold everything together.  The clear container is sleek in design and is small enough where it doesn't overtake your desk surface.  Another favorite of mine is a wireless mouse.  Especially when working on projects during the school year, this will be extremely useful instead of using a mouse pad.  Even though it may be an item many would not think of, I definitely recommend in buying one at Staples of Office Depot.  Another great way to store (important) papers is on a bulletin board!  These squares allow you rearrange them however you want on the wall and provide a decorative element to your work space.


Laptop Case // Planner // To Do List // Ear Buds // Water Bottle // Pencil Pouch // Highlighters // Sticky Note Pads

Now on to some backpack basics!  Typically, I rotate between a tote bag and backpack between classes, but for the most part I carry these items with me wherever I go.  A laptop case is essential when storing your computer with you.  While some backpacks have a built in storage pocket for this, having a sleeve for it is a lot more protective.  Students are practically reliant on their laptops at school so having that shell to cover it will make your computer last that much longer.  Another item to keep in your backpack is a pencil pouch (one that is particularly colorful!)  As you can tell, I am a hoarder when it comes to putting items in my backpack... but I like to carry lots of pens and pencils with me for writing in class or in my planner.  I recommend finding one with a plastic covering inside in case your pen's ink spills out.

Again, this is not your average college packing list but I hope you enjoyed my recommendations and how I've used them over the few years!  As you begin the new semester, I wish you the best of luck with moving in or starting classes!

 Who else is excited for the next year?!
*raises hand*

x.
C

*Disclaimer:  next week I will have a blog post about sorority rushing, stay tuned!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe