8 (Healthy) Snacks To Eat On A College Budget

Monday, July 25, 2016

To kick off this Monday, I am publishing my first back to school post to celebrate!  As many begin to finish their summer jobs, classes, and trips- now is the time to begin to create a college checklist before it's too late.
Part of my back to school series, I first wanted to share my favorite items you to keep in your college pantry.  This is not your average college grocery list, aka it does NOT consist of products like Easy Mac or Oreos (although both are delicious!) but instead healthy selections that will win you over.

Near the end of my freshman year, I learned how important it was to take care of your diet.  Resorting to take out, carbonated drinks and late night snacking did nothing in my favor.  The 'Freshman 15' myth did not seem like it would phase me, but I was wrong.  From the pounds I packed on to various acne breakouts I have since than been more conscious about what I am eating.  

College is definitely a challenging atmosphere if you want to eat healthy.  Parents aren't around to tell you what and when to eat and the copious amounts of free food that is on campus is borderline disgusting.  

While I do not have my own kitchen pantry at college since I am living on campus this year, I do have a place in my dorm room where I store all my food.  However your dorm storage pans out, I use a sealed container, like this one, to house my items.  The container keeps everything fresh and and prevents any bugs from getting into my food (because it's college and you can never be too safe!).  Typically, I keep my container nestled underneath my bed or stacked on top of my wardrobe.

Every college student needs to do a grocery run once in a while and I hope you can incorporate some of these snacks into your healthy diet.  They're tasty, convenient and very affordable!

Pretzel Crisps
These light, crispy pretzels are perfect.  Low in calories and zero trans or saturated fat, they're an easy snack to take on the go or can easily be paired with a dip.  They come in a variety of flavors so you'll be able to choose one that will suit your taste buds.

BROOKESIDE Chocolate Covered Açai Berries
I swear by these.  BROOKESIDE sells many chocolate covered snacks that are made with nuts and fruit.  Sometimes in the mid mornings, if I am ever craving something I have a few of these.  Smooth and creamy, the chewy inside is made from a blend of real berry juice, blueberry juice and other fruit juices.

Sabre Hummus
Hummus is very versatile.  Whether you use it as a spread, dip or eat it plain it's an item you will be adding to your shopping list every time.  I enjoy eating it with carrots, celery or even pretzel crisps.  Sabre also sells many types of hummus giving you plenty of options to pick from.

KIND Bars
Perhaps they're not the most affordable snack BUT definitely worth the cost.  They're better than your average granola bar because they're full of nutrients and made with ingredients you can actually see!  Why should this matter?  Because this proves their bars are not as processed in comparison to other brands.

Blue Diamond Lightly Salted Almonds
This past year, these became one of my favorite snacks.  Almonds are known as a "power food."  They have all sorts of health benefits such as lowering your cholesterol and reducing your risk of heart disease, a heart attack and diabetes.  They also have a lot of magnesium which can provide a good source of energy.  The average service is about 24 almonds which is plenty because these can fill you up!

Mini Babybel Light White Cheese Wheels
"Aren't those the things moms would pack in your school lunch?"
YES they are and have made quite a comeback.  With having 50% less the fat than their normal cheese, they give you protein and are the perfect travel size.

Minute Ready Rice
Maybe its not everyone's first choice snack, but it is for me.  No water needed, this rice cup can easily be heated up for 60 seconds and then it's all ready to go.  They offer white or brown rice to choose from and it's low in calories.  Again, something light to fill you up if you're in a rush or want to pass on the dining hall.  I add bit a soy sauce to mine to give it some flavor.

Fruit And Vegetables
One of the most disappointing parts about college is the lack of fresh fruit.  Apples, red peppers, bananas or whatever you like stored in your fridge is a great idea!  If your college fridge also have a freezer section, trying frozen grapes.  They're delicious to eat especially during the beginning of the school year when it's still hot outside.

What are your favorite college snacks?

x.
C

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Subscribe