Finding Your Voice In Public Speaking

Friday, July 22, 2016

As previously discussed in my blog, I have been keeping busy this summer with my internship.  In fact. it inspired me to create my blog in order to learn more about my job in digital marketing.  Last week I received an email from the Human Resources manager in charge of my internship program, explaining that we must give a presentation on the summer projects we've accomplished thus far in front of our intern colleagues, mentors and a few members on the executive board for next Tuesday.


With the deadline quickly approaching, I thought it would be a good time to share my advice on public speaking.  To many, I seem like a quiet and shy person.  My introverted personality is noticeable, however, my close friends and family know I love talking- one the reasons why I even started a blog!

When I was younger, giving presentations in class was always nerve racking.  I would be super anxious and worried about making a mistake or embarrassing myself.  It was troubling to talk because I was incredibly shaky which led me to really struggle in finding my voice.

I believe that finding your voice is one of the most important things you can do when doing public speaking.  While a script or note cards can be helpful, it's establishing that confidence that will really propel your overall presentation.

Here are my tricks of the trade that have helped me when crafting a speech or presentation, and maybe they can be of use for you too.  I devised my tips into questions to make things easier.  That way if you're ever lost, you can ask yourself these:

1) What's Your Story?
Storytelling is an easy way to get started.  Everyone loves a good story.  It captures the audience's attention and helpful when weaving main points into your talk.  Brainstorming a story can even aid in helping you begin to create your speech or presentation.  You will not only be inspiring yourself, but others as well.

2)  What's Your Plan?
Once you come up with an idea, now you have to plan it.  Any story must have a beginning, middle and end.  Think about what you need to do get from point A to point B.  List out the information or key points you want to address and then identify where you want to place them in your speech.  Ever since elementary school, I have stuck with the "3" main points rule in my speeches.  I think exceeding 5 main points can sometimes become confusing, so keeping into a minimum will help you effectively communicate your message.

3)  Who's Your Audience?
It's good to distinguish the group of people you will be talking to.  Obviously depending on the group, you will be using different vocabulary or etiquette.  Whomever you speak to, remember to be professional when the occasion arises or more casual during other occasions.  There's always a time and place.  Determining your audience will set the tone for the rest of your speech.

4)  How Many Times Did You Practice?
Because practice makes perfect, right?  I am horrible at this.  What makes me push off practicing is that I justify to myself that by spending hours of planning and preparing my speech, I know my speech so well that I do not need to rehearse it at all.  Wrong.  You can never practice too much.  Practice will build that base for confidence and calm any nerves you may have.  Instead of practicing in front of a friend, record yourself!  Critiquing yourself is how you will better understand your presentation skills and you will be able to see which specific parts you need to work on.

5)  What Are You Wearing?
Presentation is everything.  Let me repeat that, presentation is everything.  It is sad to realize but our society is very shallow- where we judge someone based off their appearance.  Going back to your audience, this will also determine what you should wear for your speech.  For a professional presentation, black slacks or a classic pencil skirt with a button up is a great overall look.  If the atmosphere is laid back, wearing a wrap dress is a nice option.  Keep your footwear conservative by pairing your outfit with black or nude flats.  There is nothing more disastrous if you show up in a bandage skirt or too high of heels.

6)  Did You Breathe?
It's funny how often we can forget to do this during public speaking.  Taking pauses and deep breathing in your speech will make you slow down and feel relaxed.  If you need to, collect yourself for a minute and begin your speech again.  We all need to find own voice, and there could not be a better time to do it than in that moment.

These tips are small, but all relate to finding that confidence or voice you need the next time you need to do public speaking.

x.
C

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe