My Internship Reflection + Advice

Friday, August 12, 2016

Today marks the last day of my internship.

It still feels a bit surreal.  Driving to work today was strange in itself because I knew this would be the last time I would be commuting this route every morning at 7:30 AM.  During the course of over 10 weeks, I could recall my summer in one word:  busy.

A full-time internship taught me how important it is to manage my time, in and outside the workplace.  This was my first real "big girl" job, where I was given my own cubicle and clocked in a regular 40 hour work week.  It's comical looking back earlier this year at how much pressure I put on myself to find a summer internship.  My internship options was limited due to travel time from my home, and the positions I did apply for got very little response back.

It wasn't until April that I received a call from a Cleveland-based, Fortune 500 company about interviewing for a marketing internship.  And as luck would have it, I was hired and the rest was history.


The internship was an interesting one.  My experience was not what I expected, but valuable no matter how you look at it.  There were good days and bad days- but I walk away knowing a lot more about myself with skills that could be beneficial down the road.

Like other people finishing up their internships, I find myself asking the question, "now what?"

First jobs or internships are important.  They definitely stick with you and set the foundation as you continue to build your career.  Sometimes it's the little things that can make a big difference. Often it's good to take the initiative and not limit yourself.  Your representation of yourself is how your coworkers will perceive you.  The biggest tip I have for people when beginning their first job is to seize opportunities, because you never know where they may lead to.

Here are 5 other key lessons I've learned from being an intern this summer:

Arrive Early, Stay Late
Set yourself apart early on by doing this.  Even if it means going to bed and setting your alarm earlier, it's worth losing an hour of sleep over.  Your boss will admire your dedication to your job and others will too.

Get To Know Your Coworkers
This past summer, I discovered this to be incredibly hard.  My coworkers would typically converse at many meetings they scheduled in during their days, but being an intern I rarely had any meetings.  During a weekly project meeting with my mentor, she mentioned how she wanted me to "get to know the people I work with" which I was not opposed to, but found difficult since none of the other employees spoke to me in general.

Perhaps being the only intern in my department could factor into this, but regardless it's important to make the effort to meet other people.  Wherever you work someday, the people there play a huge role in how much you will enjoy your job.

Learn And Know The Company Culture
Every place has their own way of doing things.  Some job environments are more laid back than others but it's crucial to understand the atmosphere around you to adjust to it.  One of the best parts about an internship is having the ability to experiment with different company cultures.  By experimenting, you can figure out what type of company you would like to work for when looking for a full time job.

For example, my internship this year in comparison to last year's was A LOT more professional.  The dress code was business casual and most face to face interaction was seen as inconvenient to my coworkers.  Instead, we had to schedule meetings beforehand if we wanted to collaborate on a project.  My office was also very quiet.  For the most part individuals kept to themselves and managed their own schedules.

My internship from the year before was very laid back.  We had the option to wear casual clothes everyday and worked very closely with one another because our work spaces were not even 10 feet apart!

Whatever the company culture may be like, remember (to a certain extent) to keep it professional.  You are still an intern- know where you stand and be sure to not cross boundaries with others.

Ask Questions... And More Questions
As an intern, I would advise you to first figure out problems on your own and then ask someone if you need clarification.  But ask questions!  Ask for feedback, ask for more projects, ask people to lunch... everyone would love to be there for you.  Asking questions shows that you are a team player.  They understand you are a newbie and want to be as much use to you as possible.

Stay In Touch
An internship is networking.  During your few months interning, there's a chance you will meet many individuals in the same industry you are in.  Don't be afraid to connect with these individuals on LinkedIn.  Extending that invitation to know each other better is always worth a shot.  They have years of experience on you and most likely know other people they can connect you with if you ask them to.

Stand out even more and give your boss a gift with a thank you note detailing how you grateful you are for having the opportunity to work for them.  In return, I encourage you to also ask your boss to write you a letter of recommendation near the end of your internship.  They hired you for a reason and want to help you succeed.  

So, did this answer your question to, "now what?"

x.
C

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Hairextensionscottsdale guarantees best micro ring hair extension at most cost-effective prices available on the market Micro Ring Hair Extensions Scottsdale Visit today!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Looking for Trade Show Displays in Vancouver? Look no further! Comotion offers a wide range of high-quality and eye-catching displays to help you stand out at your next trade show.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Looking for a reliable Custom Filter Vessel Manufacturer ? Look no further than ESS. Our high-quality vessels are designed to meet your specific needs.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe